Versailles Gardens: also a love story

I'm behind! On everything! Including this blog. It's been a crazy week. My whole family was here, and we made it to 4 different countries in 10 days. We had a wonderful time in Switzerland, France, Monaco, and Italy. I'm so excited to write about our family vacation, but first it's time to play catch up and finish writing about our weekend trip to Versailles from a few weeks ago.

After spending Saturday inside the palace, thankfully the weather cooperated enough to let us spend Sunday enjoying the gardens. Despite this being my 8th time at Versailles, I'd never visited the gardens during the fountain show. The gardens are huge and full of fountains, but they are only turned on during spring and summer on specific days.











What a difference it makes! There was also classical music playing and some of the fountains were choreographed according to the music. It's already a magical place, but this really put it over the top.

I couldn't help myself. We've been married for 8 months now... I still don't think David's quite used to the fact that once in a while I dance in public and make him take pictures.


Before making our way around to see all of the fountains, our first stop was taking the trolley over to the Grand and Petit Trianons. The trianons are small mansions where the royal family could get away from their very public lives in Versailles. Anyone off the street who was dressed well enough could come inside the palace and try to get a glimpse of the king and queen. So you can imagine the appeal of being able to get away to a more private place.




#tbt at the Trianon in 2015 v. 2017!
Louis XVI gave the Petit Trianon to his wife Marie Antoinette, breaking the long-standing French king tradition of using it as a convenient place to stash their mistresses. Marie Antoinette-themed art and her monogram are all over this place <3



There are so many beautiful pavilions and statues around these gardens! Every time you turn a corner you know you'll come across something else like this.









Oh, Versailles. I don't think I could ever get tired of you. The palace itself is wonderful... but the gardens alone are 100% worth seeing. 





8 fingers for my 8th time at the palace!









Comments

Popular Posts