Monday, August 1, 2016

A Day in Reims

It's scrapbooking season. I'm a few years behind right now- I'm just getting to the end of September-December 2013 traveling around Europe. I don't know if I'll ever catch up, since I keep going places.

Anyways, I only mention my scrapbooking probs because in the process I discovered some pictures that I didn't even remember. Since I'm in a France mood (going to visit in a week and a half!! moving there in 2 months!!), I thought I'd share.

One of the day trips I took while living in Strasbourg was taking the TGV to Reims. It's a city in the Champagne region approx. 2 hours west of Strasbourg. I wanted to go because of the historic cathedral. The Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Reims was where every king and queen of France had their coronation. I'm kind of a fan of royal history.

I liked visiting Reims because, as adorable as Strasbourg is, it doesn't look classically French. I feel like I'm in Germany when I'm there- with good reason, since Strasbourg was part of Germany for a long time.


This is the kind of architecture that looks "French" to me.



It was a lovely spring day to wander around.
Despite the scaffolding, the cathedral was impressive!


This "Smiling Angel" on the façade is famous, but it creeped me out.

I'd say it was worth a day trip! 





While in Reims, I also checked out an even older church- the Basilique St. Rémi.





If you can't tell, I kind of have a thing for Catholic architecture ;)

While wandering back to the train station, I came across this cute covered market and did a little shopping. This would be nice for all of the many rainy days in northern France.



Before heading home to Strasbourg, I stopped by a little museum where you can visit the very room where the Germans surrendered to General Eisenhower, and see some artifacts. It ended up being a pretty good Marissa day with a small doses of royalty, shopping, and WWII.

I'm so looking forward to having the kind of life again next year where I can hop on a train and explore new cities so easily :)





No comments:

Post a Comment