A Day in Reims

It's scrapbooking season. I'm a few years behind right now- I'm just getting to the end of September-December 2013 traveling around Europe. I don't know if I'll ever catch up, since I keep going places.

Anyways, I only mention my scrapbooking probs because in the process I discovered some pictures that I didn't even remember. Since I'm in a France mood (going to visit in a week and a half!! moving there in 2 months!!), I thought I'd share.

One of the day trips I took while living in Strasbourg was taking the TGV to Reims. It's a city in the Champagne region approx. 2 hours west of Strasbourg. I wanted to go because of the historic cathedral. The Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Reims was where every king and queen of France had their coronation. I'm kind of a fan of royal history.

I liked visiting Reims because, as adorable as Strasbourg is, it doesn't look classically French. I feel like I'm in Germany when I'm there- with good reason, since Strasbourg was part of Germany for a long time.

This is the kind of architecture that looks "French" to me.




It was a lovely spring day to wander around.
\
Despite the scaffolding, the cathedral was impressive!



This "Smiling Angel" on the façade is famous, but it creeped me out.


I'd say it was worth a day trip! 





While in Reims, I also checked out an even older church- the Basilique St. Rémi.





If you can't tell, I kind of have a thing for Catholic architecture ;)

While wandering back to the train station, I came across this cute covered market and did a little shopping. This would be nice for all of the many rainy days in northern France.



Before heading home to Strasbourg, I stopped by a little museum where you can visit the very room where the Germans surrendered to General Eisenhower, and see some artifacts. It ended up being a pretty good Marissa day with a small doses of royalty, shopping, and WWII.

I'm so looking forward to having the kind of life again next year where I can hop on a train and explore new cities so easily :)





Comments

Popular Posts