Friday, May 24, 2013

My Turkish Birthday

That's right. I turned 24 in Turkey!

On the way to Troy, we stopped at the Gallipoli memorial. There was a huge WWI battle there between Australians/New Zealanders fighting against the Turks. Each side had about 60,000 casualties over a few months.

ANZAC stands for Australia and New Zealand Army Corps.



p.s. that scarf is from the Grand Bazaar!

Say hello to the Aegean Sea! Not in this particular spot, but I got to swim in in the next day.



It was a long drive to Troy, which is nowadays basically just an unimpressive pile of rocks. And we had the "opportunity" to listen to our Turkish tour guide Nejeb talk for 3 HOURS about said rocks in 90 degree weather. Lucky us.


It was fun to think about the stories that happened there, but there wasn't very much (=anything) to see. Except of course....



the Trojan Horse itself!!! Which we like to joke is an actual artifact from thousands of years ago :)    I wouldn't say it was worth the 8 hour drive, but at least I got a photo op out of it.

So those are the sites I saw on my birthday/ Day 2 of our Turkish adventure. Who would have thought this is where I would be hanging out here when I turned 24? 


1 comment:

  1. you look so cute in your bday pics! love the new scarf; it's so you! LOVE the picture of you in the Trojan horse replica! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete