My Turkish Birthday

That's right. I turned 24 in Turkey!

On the way to Troy, we stopped at the Gallipoli memorial. There was a huge WWI battle there between Australians/New Zealanders fighting against the Turks. Each side had about 60,000 casualties over a few months.

ANZAC stands for Australia and New Zealand Army Corps.


Say hello to the Aegean Sea! Not in this particular spot, but I got to swim in in the next day.


It was a long drive to Troy, which is nowadays basically just an unimpressive pile of rocks. And we had the "opportunity" to listen to our Turkish tour guide Nejeb talk for 3 HOURS about said rocks in 90 degree weather. Lucky us.


It was fun to think about the stories that happened there, but there wasn't very much (=anything) to see. Except of course....


the Trojan Horse itself!!! Which we like to joke is an actual artifact from thousands of years ago :)    I wouldn't say it was worth the 8 hour drive, but at least I got a photo op out of it.

So those are the sites I saw on my birthday/ Day 2 of our Turkish adventure. Who would have thought this is where I would be hanging out here when I turned 24? 


Comments

  1. you look so cute in your bday pics! love the new scarf; it's so you! LOVE the picture of you in the Trojan horse replica! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts