Road Trip to Milan

We have David to thank for this trip, because it was his idea to go and he offered to chauffeur us over to Italy. We had to make the most of Brittany's week in Europe, so an Italian road trip was a must!

Milan is about 3.5 hours away from where we live. David and I have both been to Italy a few times, but never to Milan... so this was a first for all 3 of us. We set off late Saturday morning after quickly unpacking from Paris and repacking for the weekend.

We rented an AirBnb and stayed in a studio apartment. It was just steps away from the metro, so within 10 minutes we arrived at the Duomo (basically the reason I've wanted to visit Milan).

Before visiting the church we needed some delicious Italian food. Well, me and Brittany did. David got hungry on the road and opted for some McDonald's instead. Typical. We had gnocchi with cheese sauce at a touristy restaurant that had this view. 




I have no idea why (despite the fact that it was Saturday) the piazza in front of the Duomo was sooooooo crowded. It seemed like a mix of tourists and locals just hanging out (and the pigeons, don't forget the pigeons). Nowhere in Paris was close to being this crowded.





We had to stand in a long line to pay our 2 euros to go inside. The outside is so impressive but for some reason I wasn't expecting the inside to be. It was! I've seen my fair share of European cathedrals but this might even be my favorite now (sorry Strasbourg).





The ceiling was my favorite part!

Could have done without this statue, though. #stillhavingnightmares


My travel buddies!





Right next door is the Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele- a beautiful covered shopping passageway. 





Aren't these the most beautiful 4 corners you've ever seen? Versace, Prada, Louis Vuitton, and Prada again? 



Milan is known to be one of the fashion capitals of the world (along with Paris). Me and Brittany agreed that we saw more fashionable people in Paris, but I definitely did see some very fashionable people here. David nodded and pretended he knew what we were talking about and what a fashionable person wears ;) ;)

We wandered around in the area a bit- and found the La Scala opera house. It's not too impressive from the outside but I'm sure the inside is. 



We weren't really hungry enough for dinner after a late lunch (well, David was- he had McDonald's again, believe it or not haha). We were thinking about gelato but went for hot chocolate instead. Italian hot chocolate is amazing. It's the darkest, richest chocolate.

Milano at night.




The next morning we went to church not far from our apartment. None of us really speak Italian, so it was a fun adventure. Me and David could understand a tiny bit (I studied it for a few semesters in college). Some missionaries tried to translate for us but they had bad luck because the ward's fastest speakers were up that Sunday. 

The first lady spoke crazy fast, and the only thing they could understand/translate was "One time I was with my friend and she had her pants but I forgot mine. I'll never forget my pants again." I'm pretty sure it was lost in translation, but it was pretty funny. 

Even though we weren't in France, we didn't completely escape the double cheek kisses. I count it as a successful Sunday if I only have to do it once, but I think Brittany was slightly traumatized by her first bise. Those friendly old ladies will go for it. It can't be avoided.

After sacrament we drove to Castello Sforzesco in central Milan. Thankfully, it really was not bad driving downtown. I was a little scared, but it turned out that the roads were bigger and the traffic was better than in France.

We found some lunch (pizza for me, spaghetti for Brittany, and miraculously: something that wasn't a hamburger for David!).

The Sforzesco Castle holds several little museums. It only costs 5 euros to visit all of them. The best part for me was seeing the castle itself. 






I was so excited to finally wear my Prada Milano sunglasses that I bought YEARS ago in their hometown. David took this nicely zoomed in picture to show them off haha



One 'museum' that I would say is not worth any amount of money was the Michelangelo one. The only object it hold is an unfinished sculpture. It is so unfinished that any idiot with a chisel could have made it. I might be exaggerating but really, it was super unimpressive.

We climbed 5 flights of stairs to see a museum about violin-making. I mention the stairs because the pain of walking 30 miles in Paris was still fresh.

The museum David was interested in wasn't open yet, so we went in search of gelato. It almost ended in failure (couldn't find any, the one we found only took cash, couldn't find an ATM, briefly lost David....), but we persevered and it was worth it.

David wanted to see the museum of musical instruments, but the problem was that would involve going back up those stairs. We decided to sit in this sunny courtyard and let David do his thing. 



After he had his fill of that, we were back in the car on our way home to France. For some reason the drive always seems longer on the way back when the adventure is over. 

Last installment of Brittany's trip here. Exploring the French Riviera and heading back to Paris.





Comments

Popular Posts