Baby Meets Paris

A few weeks before Magnolia turned 1, we traveled to my favorite city. David's parents were able to meet us there and see their favorite baby, so it was a win-win.

It was my 12th trip to the City of Lights, but this was a special one since it was my first time there with Magnolia. Being a small baby, I realize that she didn't actually care.. but it made me happy to introduce her to some classic Parisian landmarks.

My in-laws had not been to Paris since the 70s. Needless to say it had been a while and they were also due to revisit some Paris classics.

Classic #1: The Champs-Elysées

Paris' most famous avenue was all lit up for Christmas, so we couldn't miss it! We got out of the metro at the Arc de Trimophe and all enjoyed walking down the sparkly street despite the chilly temperatures.



Classic #2: The Sainte-Chapelle

This 13th century church in the heart of Paris on Ile-de-la-Cité is a must-see because of its stained glass. Magnolia had her bottle in here while happily zoning out and staring at the vivid colors.



Classic #3: A walk through the Marais

Unfortunately Notre-Dame is still closed, but we walked by to say bonjour and then crossed the Seine to walk past the Hôtel de Ville and through my favorite Paris neighborhood. I'm still super unclear on why adults choose to go to Disney World. What's more magical than medieval streets in Paris?





Classic #4: Palais Garnier (the Opera house)

Staircases fit for a princess, enough gold to rival Versailles, and the fact that it's the dramatic setting of The Phantom of the Opera are enough to keep me coming back here. I think this was my 4th visit. It's on my bucket list to see a ballet here one day!





Classic #5: Galeries Lafayette

This most beautiful mall I've ever been in is a neighbor of the Opera house. If I'm in Paris during the holiday season, I always stop by to see whatever magnificent Christmas tree they've come up with. It's different every year, and is always an impressive sight against the backdrop of Galeries Lafayette's stained glass dome.


The rooftop view is just as impressive.

Classic #6: Place Vendôme

It's one of the prettiest squares in Paris (especially when it's all dressed up for Christmas)- and that's saying something! The buildings are home to luxury hotels, like the Ritz, and many luxury stores.



Place Vendôme is right down the block from Angelina- a delightful teahouse where I had the chance to reunite with my longtime friend Claire over hot chocolate and pastries.


Classic #7: The Louvre

Our sightseeing time was limited due to Magnolia's nap schedule, but even seeing just the exterior of the Louvre is worth it. It used to be a royal palace and is a work of art in its own right.


Classic #8: Palais Royal

The Louvre's neighbor is a fun stop because of the art installation in the courtyard. It's also a former royal palace, if your French level is bad enough to not guess that from its name. Magnolia found the perfect place to pose!



Classic #9: The Eiffel Tower

Of course we had to stop here and of course our baby wore a beret. 

The Pont de Bir-Hakeim is my favorite place to get an Eiffel Tower view. It's a little bit further away, and I like that the view is from a distance with the Seine in the background. 

I made David take pictures here for our first anniversary, so we had to reenact one of them with Magnolia 5 years later.


Classic #10: Baguettes

It might not be the most exciting thing on this list, but do you know how exciting it was to eat real French bread after 5 years away? Exciting enough to make this list of beautiful historic landmarks.





Comments

Popular Posts