Wanderlust

I've been doing lots of trip planning lately and thinking about trying to make the most of our year in Europe. Here's a little list of the top 10 places around the world I'd like to visit someday.

In no particular order...

1. Greece
Specifically, Athens to see the historical sites and then Santorini and maybe some other islands to relax. We're planning on going there in June! But until there are flights purchased and hotels booked, it will remain on my wish list.



2. Egypt
Cairo and Giza, to be exact. I thought about going while I lived in Israel, but unfortunately the political situation wasn't the best while I was conveniently Egypt's neighbor. I'd like to see the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, cruise down the Nile, and of course see some pyramids in Giza.



3. Morocco
Staying on the North Africa theme... Morocco has intrigued me for a while. It's a pretty common destination for European tourists (and cheap to get to from Europe). One reason I'd like to go is to experience a French-speaking country in Africa. Over the last few years, I've become more and more interested in Middle Eastern culture. Morocco seems like an interesting mix of Middle Eastern/Islamic, African, and French culture. I'd like to do some shopping in the souks of Marrakech, soak up the sun, and see the beautiful and exotic architecture.



4. Southern Spain
I've already ventured to Barcelona and wouldn't mind stopping by Madrid someday. But what I dream about is going down south. I'd like to see the Alcazar of Seville, the Mosque-Cathedral in Cordoba, and the Alhambra Palace in Granada. I'm in love with the Moorish architecture. The cross between European and Islamic cultures created some amazing and unique places. Kind of like Morocco- but the added benefit is that I could even drink the water in Spain ;)



5. The Caribbean
This is super unspecific. I'm no expert on the different islands. I just know I want to lay on a beach in the Caribbean someday. This destination is one of the only things on this list that my husband would be equally excited about, if not more. The big family trip (Houdek/Spangler/Rubino) will be in Europe this year, but maybe the next one can be a cruise.



6. China
Speaking of places my husband also wants to go... we're both very interested in China! We'd like to visit Beijing, the Great Wall, Shanghai, and the Terracotta Army, for starters. There's so much to see- it's obviously a huge country. I'm excited to go to China someday because it would be so different from anything I've seen and I love big cities. Neither of us have been to Asia outside of the Middle East.



7. Budapest
It's time to hop back over to Europe. In all of my European travels, Eastern Europe has been pretty neglected. I've never made it further east than Prague. Budapest looks like a beautiful city with lots of history... it's been on my list for a while!



8. Poland
I'd love to see Warsaw and Krakow, and visit a lot of Holocaust-related sites (Auschwitz, the Warsaw ghetto, and Schindler's factory are my top picks). I spent so long studying the Holocaust and it would be surreal to see the actual locations. 



9. Ireland
Green hills, castles, and accents. Nothing more to add.



10. Venice
I've already made it to Rome and Florence (and more)... so Venice seems like the logical next step to take in Italy! Italy is definitely one of my favorite places to travel. I love hearing Italian, seeing the beautiful, colorful cities, the shopping, the history, the cathedrals, and even the high percentage of white fluffy dogs haha. I can't wait to take a cheesy and way too expensive gondola ride ;)



Of course, this isn't a comprehensive list. I've got at least a couple dozen more places I'd like to check off the bucket list at some point. The problem is that traveling a lot usually just makes you want to travel more.

This year we have tentative plans to go to Venice, Greece, and possibly Eastern Europe. Hopefully I can check off at least some of the rest as the years go by. 


Comments

  1. Most of these spots are on my bucket list too, but I'd add Hawaii for sure. 🌴

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts