My next adventure!

Well, I have less than a month left here in France. And as of today, I can finally answer people's questions about what I'm doing next year!

In October, I'll be starting a year-long master's program at the University of Haifa in Israel. The program is an MA in Holocaust Studies. It's part of the international school, so everything is taught in English. But I will have the chance to study Hebrew there!

I never thought that I would go to graduate school. As I was finishing college, I looked into a few programs but none of them looked very appealing to me.

I was really inspired by some awesome experiences in Israel- getting to hear from a Holocaust survivor and visiting Jerusalem's wonderful Holocaust museum. It became more and more clear to me that that was what I was passionate about studying. While I was in Israel (hanging out at Aroma for my weekly internet session with Kelby, in fact!), I did some research to find out if something like an MA in the Holocaust even existed.

Guess what, it did! I found the University of Haifa's program right away, and it's really the only program of it's kind in the world. I kept it in the back of my mind for a while until I officially decided to apply over Christmas break.

Every class that's a part of the program looks fascinating to me! There are also some cool opportunities like possible internships and a study tour to Germany and Poland. I can't wait to spend more time in Israel, get better at Hebrew, and study something further that I really love.

I know studying the Holocaust probably seems random. And depressing. But I've always loved history, and especially modern European history, and especially WWII, and especially studying the Holocaust. For years now almost every book I read has something to do with this subject. If you've paid attention, visiting WWII sites has been a theme on my blog as well!

So, what am I planning to do with this degree? Well, I graduated with a major in French Teaching and a minor in History Teaching. I'd like to teach both French and history in the future, so having a master's in something that I only minored in will only help me find a job, right? Of course, I'm also open to maybe exploring other job options or even further schooling. But for now, I'm still planning on teaching high school French and history.

I'm guessing if you're not one of my Jerusalem friends that's reading this, you have no idea where Haifa is. It's in northern Israel on the Mediterranean coast. It's about 2 hours away from Jerusalem and 1 hour from Tel Aviv.

Oh yeah, and it looks like this!!


Anyways, right now I'm very excited to have 6 months at home and do things like hang out with my family and puppy, eat Culver's, and speak English all the time. However, I'm even more excited to start this new adventure in October. It's pretty scary and intimidating, but hey...I've survived France, right?

I always thought that spending this year traveling would completely fulfill all of my traveling dreams and that I would feel satisfied. But...I've discovered that the opposite is true. The more I see and experience, the more I realize how many amazing things in the world there are to see and experience!

So yeah. I'm going back to Israel. Looks like the blog will live on!

If anyone's interested, here's the link to the program website.

http://holocaust-studies.haifa.ac.il/

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts